domingo, 31 de mayo de 2015

Getting your shower green

Hello everyone. Here is how to better your shower: some tips ad some anecdotes...

I do short showers. Yes, it is better to keep it short ad sweet. You get to use less water and for those like me who like a warm shower, it keeps the electricity bill decent.

I shower every other day. At the beginning of this experiment when I had shower-time I was showering as if I came back from wrestling. Then I noticed I should relax because I was not dirtier then before. But off course some days I had to do some exceptions and shower.
I am aware that weather in the Tropics can make you sweat but I wouldn´t say this is always the case especially if you sit all day. There is off course the "cat wash" which everybody can customize according to its needs.
The skin doesn't need to be exposed to soaps and hot water every day then it looses their natural lipid coat and dries. By the way, Leonardo Di Caprio does this too.

I prefer soap bars than shower gel. I avoid the plastic of the shower gel container.

I use environmentally friendly shampoo and rinse. If you start reading the contents of your cosmetics you will come to a huge lists of ingredients among them parabens(1),(2) which are petroleum derivatives that are endocrine disrupters. Cosmetics have a lot of ingredients that shouldn't come in contact with our skin. Therefore look for environmentally friendly ones and read the labels. Remember that "Natural" when it comes to buying products doesn't mean environmentally friendly neither organic ingredients...It doesn't even mean that all ingredients in that product are natural.

I skip scrubs with microplastic. Yes plastic in our scrubs, toothpastes and other cosmetics.
These are the ingredients to avoid:

Polyethylene   (Note: Polyethylene isn't the same as polyethylene glycol.)
Polypropylene
Poly-e-terephthalate
Polymethyl methacrylate 

More info about microbeads here: http://verdetheexperiment.blogspot.de/2015/05/microbeads-plastic-bits-for-our-skin.html

I reuse my towels. I don't change them every time I use them. I change them at the end of the week. Less washing, less soap, more time for other stoff. : )


(1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraben#Breast_cancer
(2) http://www.breastcancerfund.org/clear-science/radiation-chemicals-and-breast-cancer/parabens.html

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario