sábado, 16 de mayo de 2015

Waste of food - my experience

This week's experiment is one of the biggest challenges of my daily life and Lucia's lifestyle seems very different to mine!!!

I currently live with two roommates and my cat R. The cat eats cat food that i buy and my roommates and I have very different schedules, so we don't share food and each one cooks for herself only. Sometimes we coincide at dinner, but it is something that happens randomly once every two months or less!!!

It is a huge challenge to buy and cook food for only one person and not to waste some of it every week. I have three meals a day and two snacks. I have established easy breakfasts because I start at 8 am every day, I cook lunch to eat at my office and my dinners are always light and easy if I prepare them. The snacks are fruits, crackers or nuts.

THIS WEEK

For me, the purpose to lower the chances to waste food will start when I go shopping. First thing I'm going to do is to look up for my week's activities and be real honest about the actual time I'm going to have to cook (and I actually only cook for lunch- breakfasts are fresh fruits, yogurt and granola, for dinner is tortillas, cheese or a salad). Once I see the week's scenario I'll probably realize that I can only cook for two or three lunches so I'll make a shopping list based on that (I will completely avoid buying food without a shopping list!!). And when I feel like cooking beans, lentils or chickpeas, since it is difficult to cook just a little bit, I will make the whole bag and freeze half of it (or more) to eat it later on.

IN TWO WEEKS

I will be moving out of my current house in two weeks. I'm still be having a roommate, so I'm going to bring up this subject with my roommate to find a way to share the food we buy and cook. It might be helpful and more easy to follow Lucia's suggestions. I will inform how it goes!


Thanks,

P.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario